Campers love YSSC because campers love our staff. Typically, our staff family includes 70 college students and graduates. These young adults represent 25-30 colleges and universities. On average, 60% of our staff returns each year. YSSC’s summer camp program provides an opportunity for all staff members to interact with children, and also hone their skills in leadership, service, communication, team building, teaching, problem solving, and putting Christian faith into action.
- Counseling - 11 week ministry
Position: Live-in cabin counselor for up to 7 campers
- Program - 13 week ministry
Position: Head Boys / Head Girls Counselors, Children's Worship Leader, Backpack Guides, Boat Drivers, Lifeguards, Photographer, Videographer, and Instructors for Skateboarding, Archery, Marksmanship, Nature Study and Crafts.
- Operations - 13 week ministry
Position: Food Service, Housekeeping/Maintenance, Office Staff, Infirmary Staff
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old. Candidates for counseling and program staff must have completed one year of college by June 2017.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are available for the full summer. Some staff will be asked to arrive earlier or stay longer.
- All staff must be current CPR certified valid for the entire summer and able to articulate a personal faith in Jesus Christ.
- Staff will work a six-day week. Schedules are dictated by programming and the need to supervise campers 24 hours a day.
- Salary begins at $190 per week plus room and board ($270 per week value) for first year staff.
- As each staff member plays a key role in modeling the love of God to campers, all will be asked to adhere to a summer code of conduct including appropriate language, dress, appearance (including tattoo and body piercing guidelines), and abstinence from alcohol, tobacco, and drugs. To view these “High Roads Traditions”.
- Applications will be accepted from December 1 - March 31 and must be submitted prior to scheduling an interview. Applicants who have been selected for employment will be notified by April.
- Counselor - At least 18 years old and entering second year of college. Provide care and round-the-clock supervision for a cabin of 5 -7 campers per session. Responsibilities include management of camp schedules, enforcement of camp guidelines, leading activities and enhancing community living skills. Experience in teaching Bible study and behavior management desirable. Ideal position for those who enjoy outdoor life, are in good health, have experience working directly with children, and desire to share your faith in Christ with kids.
- Activity Specialist/Rotator - Upperclassman desired, with experience in supervising both children and peers. Teach specialty activities such as marksmanship, archery, skateboarding, ropes course, crafts and nature study. Serve as 24-hour substitute counselor to 4-7 cabins per session. Provide general program support under direction of Activity Supervisor. Must demonstrate initiative, flexibility, creativity, strong communication skills, and stamina.
- Boat Driver - At least 18 years old and in college. Must have experience driving ski boats and have current lifeguard certificate. Responsible for boat driving and maintenance, and instructing campers in water-skiing, wake boarding, knee boarding and banana boating fundamentals, as well as implementing safety rules. Provide general program support as requested.
- Backpack Guide - At least 19 years old and in college. Must have at least a minimum of current certification in Wilderness First Aid, however, Wilderness First Aid Responder (WFR) is preferred. Experience required in wilderness mountaineering, orienteering, and rock climbing and the ability to teach these skills to campers. Experience in teaching Bible studies, counseling and behavior management is desirable. Provide general program support as requested.
- Food Service - At least 18 years old and high school graduate. Must have strong work ethic and ability to take direction, work with minimal supervision and work well with others. Responsible for food preparation and meal service, as well as other kitchen chores. Must be able to operate standard kitchen equipment, be healthy, have stamina and able to lift/carry up to 50 lbs.
- Office Assistant - At least 19 years old and in college. Responsible for daily updating camp website, providing administrative support, communicating with camp families, distributing high volume of camp mail, assisting in office projects and chores. Must have ability to take direction and multi-task, be well organized, accurate and dependable, work with minimal supervision and able to lift/carry up to 40 lbs. Word, Excel, and Internet literate. Strong communication skills desired.
- Photographer/Videographer - At least 19 years old and in college. Experience in video and digital photography. Ability to take direction and multi-task, responsible, well organized, and work with minimal supervision. Responsible for taking, editing and uploading photos on the website daily, producing video and slideshows throughout each summer session, cataloguing of images (including archiving, backing up, etc.) and assisting with media equipment set up as needed. Personal photography equipment and photo editing skills (i.e. Photoshop) preferred.
- Nurse/Infirmary Manager – At least 20 years old and nursing student, EMT, registered nurse, or higher. Responsible for managing camp infirmary (“Club Med”) and guest RNs who rotate each session. Must be able to administer first aid, assess injuries, maintain files and supplies, communicate with local doctors and camper parents relating to medical cases, and train staff in general health and hygiene guidelines. Excellent organizational, record keeping and communications skills required.
- Maintenance/Housekeeping - At least 18 years old and high school graduate. Must take direction well, demonstrate strong work ethic, and work with minimal supervision, and work well with others. Daily responsibilities include dishwashing, cleaning of facilities, general maintenance tasks, upkeep of grounds, and special event set up. Longer term projects may include building repair, construction and landscaping projects. Related experience is not required, but preferred. Must be healthy, have stamina and able to lift/carry up to 50 lbs.